As Nigerians continue to criticize the Minister of Interior, Abba Moro, over the poor handling of the just concluded Nigerian Immigration Service recruitment, the Minister has accepted responsibility and begged for forgiveness.
Moro on Thursday apologised to Nigerians over the circumstances that led to the death of over 17 persons during the recruitment exercise.
He said this while accepting responsibility for the nationwide tragedies, asserting that the incidents would have been averted if the exercise had been attended by only those that registered online.
The Minister stated this when he appeared before the Atiku Bagudu-led Senate Committee on Interior probing the fatal exercise.
Moro disclosed that necessary arrangements have been made by the Interior Ministry, the Civil Defence, Fire Service, Immigration and Prisons Services Board and the NIS to conduct a credible electronic recruitment into the Immigration service.
He said, “Mr chairman and distinguished senators, we are deeply grieved and saddened by the way events turned out. We express our sincere regrets once again.
“However, permit me to state that our patriotic desire was the pursuit of a more honest, a more transparent, a more cost effective, a more efficient and equitable platform.
“We sincerely made appropriate and adequate preparations for a hitch -free exercise, but as most things in administrative and human conditions, the yield curve of expected outcome is mostly undefined.
“My heart goes out to the families of those who have lost their dear loved ones. I sincerely sympathise with those injured. I share in their grief. I share in their pains. May I, at this juncture, assure you, distinguished senators and Nigerians, of my respect for the sanctity of human life.
“The loss of these young Nigerians, who are needed as a critical human resource factor for nation building is most regrettable. As the Minister of Interior, under whose purview this unfortunate exercise took place, I cannot abdicate my responsibility. The buck stops here.”
He clarified that the Ministry, the NIS and the board, were not involved in the collection of electronic processing fees of N1, 000 charged on each of the applicants.